Menla is seeking an inspired and experienced Sous Chef to work side by side with our Executive Chef. Join our kitchen team who have a wealth of knowledge for plant-based menus that are wholly nourishing and ecologically sustainable. Bring your culinary and creative talents to our holistic retreat center and world-class healing spa in the heart of the Catskills. If you have a passion for the healing benefits of food and are looking for a great kitchen team to work with for a meaningful cause–this is an excellent opportunity for you.
The Sous Chef should have experience in the preparation of healthy and holistic meals for large groups. S/he should also have organizational and some managerial skills to assume joint responsibility for the daily operation of the kitchen with the Head Chef.
• Supervision of Kitchen Crew during set-up and cleanup of meals and when the Executive Chef is off-duty.
• Prepare mostly vegan/vegetarian buffet style meals under the direction of the Executive Chef
• Prepare fish or chicken supplements for certain groups (less than 10% of annual bookings)
• Inspect the kitchen for cleanliness and proper storage of foods and utensils.
• Provide input to the Executive Chef in menu planning based on feedback from the staff and guests.
• Keep inventory and perform data entry for food cost and reordering
• Some specific cooking skills, such as dessert preparation or baking, are desirable.
Compensation: Hourly wage $17-20/hr DOE, organic vegetarian shift meals, share of guest tips, also possible very affordable on-site housing for the right candidate.
Perks: A sense of community; access to free yoga, meditation and other Menla-sponsored classes and retreats; and great discounts on massages and bookstore items; use of facilities, including hiking trails, state of the art gym and seasonal pool.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 – $20.00 per hour
We are following all state and CDC guidelines for keeping our staff and clients safe during COVID19.